Saturday, September 10, 2016

Hello there fellow nerds!
Hi all. Just call me M for now.  I started in IT 30 years ago when I used to “sneaker net” a 8 inch floppy disk for a pilot records keeping project called MIMMS. Marine Corps Integrated Management System. We were keeping maintenance records in a database for the first time in 1985. We used a nasty old portable PC we called the Green Machine that was supposed to be portable.  Portable like a small steamer trunk!  I think it was portable because it had handles but don’t drop it on your foot cause weighed about 45 pounds and would crush your foot.
That seems old but I used to go with my dad to Langly AFB and watch him mount drives with white silk gloves and a wrench.  Nothing was portable in 1970. Then he would let me go “play” on the card punch machine afterwards we would go to a local TV repair shop to test vacuum tubes and get a Slurpy on the way home.
I have seen computers come a long way!  For the last 20 years I have worked in IT as Windows Admin, router\switch guy and most recently doing network security archetecture.
I will be posting stuff at least weekly, more often if things are hopping. I hope I can pass on some good info about things I have picked up over my career.
Enough about me, lets learn some cool stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment